Monday, July 29, 2013

Pick up trip: Gotcha Day (day 2)

We woke up this morning with a bounce in our step despite the fickle sleep we got last night.  After a quick run to the ATM, showers, and breakfast, we were ready to go get our girl!!


The drive to Pleven is about 2.5 hours from our hotel.  It's a good thing it's a beautiful drive!  Everywhere we looked there were fields of sunflowers.  Acres and acres at a time.  I've never seen anything like it.  When you look at the side of a mountain and its covered in sunflowers: yeah, beautiful.


We arrived at Maia's orphanage around 10:45.  I will never forget this place.  They gave my daughter life until we could bring her home.  While it wasn't the best care ever, it was care nonetheless and for that I'm eternally grateful.  


We waited in the lobby for about 10 minutes while they got Maia ready and then her baba brought her out to us.  


She loves her Baba Zdravska and her Baba loves her.  It did my heart good to see this sweet lady get choked up while saying goodbye.  I'm so thankful for the care she gave our girl.  


We said goodbye and loaded up in the car for the long drive back to Sofia.  I was a little concerned about the trek.  Maia didn't seem to remember us, so here we are, two complete strangers, carrying her off into the wild blue yonder.  I would have freaked out if I was her.


Y'all.  We got a trooper!  She sat in her little booster seat and took turns looking out the window and playing with us the entire trip.  Not one cry!  Not even a look of uncertainty.  She's super brave. 


When we got back to Sofia our driver took us to the passport office.  This was the first time Maia cried all trip.  She didn't like the crowded, close space.  I don't blame her.  We got her picture and got her out of there.  Then we had to go to another little place to get another picture taken.  Poor girl.  I had to hold Maia while also keep her hands put of her face.  The guy taking the picture kept telling me to do something and I had NO CLUE what he was saying.  How do you say "I don't speak Bulgarian" in Bulgarian?





We grabbed a quick gyro lunch and hopped in a taxi to head back to the hotel.  Once at the hotel we sat on the balcony a bit and ate our lunch.  Maia ate for us as well!!!   


She sat with us on the balcony and played for a while before I took her in and laid her in her crib for a rest.  

After rest we had some play time and then we fed her dinner before we headed out to find something to eat for ourselves.  She LOVED going outside in the stroller.  We took off to the mall and grabbed some KFC "take away" before heading down to the grocery store to get us all some food for the week.  

Upon arriving back to the hotel we face timed with the kids real quick and gave Maia a yogurt snack and put her to bed.  She's quietly rocking in her crib right now.



Y'all.  This child is an angel.  She has done SO WELL.  She just had her busiest day ever and took it like a champ.  She's so happy and active and smily.  She makes wonderful eye contact and is eating and even drinking a little.  We've had very little stimming despite the busyness of today.  I'm so relieved and blessed to have today go so well.  

To God be the glory.  Bring on tomorrow!  (After a good nights sleep. Please.)








5 comments:

  1. So happy to read this report! God is doing amazing things and I am happy that conditions continue to improve there. What a smile she has! Keep the pics coming friend! Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't hold back the tears, Amy. Another beautiful little one set free from Pleven!!! Thank You, God!!!

    I am looking forward to all your future posts. What is she eating for you? Is she drinking and how? Thank you for posting and please give her an extra squeeze from me! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susanna! Today she ate baby food, rice cereal mixed with pediasure, a little apple juice mixed with water, and some yogurt. She eats from a spoon and drinks from a bottle (though she plays with it more lol). She despises the dippy cup so far. :)

      Delete
  3. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! For the record, the best way to say "I don't speak Bulgarian" - well, certainly not the best way - just the only way I know...is to look pitiful and say, "Ingleski. Ingleski!" Which means "English." =)Ya, my Bulgarian skills are not so hot. Seriously, though, I rejoice every day another sweet child is carried out of that place. You don't know me but I read your blog =)

    ReplyDelete